BIOLOGY PAPER 1 K.C.S.E YEAR 2010
- The diagram below shows a transverse section of leaf.
- Name the habitat of the plant from which the leaf was obtained. (1 mark)
- Give one reason for your answer in (a) above. (2 marks)
The diagram below illustrates the structure of bread mould.
- Name the part labeled J (1 mark)
- State the function of the structure labeled K (2 marks)
- What is meant by the following term?
- Habitat; (1 mark)
- Ecosystem (1 mark)
- Explain why is not advisable to be in a poorly ventilated room with a burning charcoal. (3 marks)
- A potted plant was kept in the dark for 48 hours. Two leaves X and Y were treated as shown in the diagram below
The experimental set-up was kept in sunlight for 6 hours after which a starch test was carried out on the two leaves.
- What were the results of the starch test on leaves X and Y? (2 marks)
- Give reasons for your answers in (a) above. (2 marks)
- What is the role of bile salts in humans? (2 marks)
The following is the dental formula of a certain mammal:
i 0/3 c 0/1 pm 3/3 m3/3
- State the likely mode of feeding for the mammal. (1 mark)
- Give a reason for your answer in (a) above. (1 mark)
- Give two reasons why animals have specialized organ for excretion as compared to plants (2 marks)
- State the changes that occur in arterioles in the human skin during thermoregulation. (2 marks)
- State two advantages of internal fertilization in humans. (2 marks)
The diagram below represents part of the human skeleton.
- Name the part labeled P (1 mark)
i) Name the bone the articulates with the part labeled Q. (1 mark)
ii) What type of joint is formed between the part labeled Q and the bone named in (b) (i) above?(1mk)
- What is the function of the following structure in the human reproductive organ?
- Fallopian tubes. (1 mark)
- Epididymis. (1 mark)
- Scrotl sac (1 mark)
- Explain three ways in which red blood cells are adapted to their function. (3 marks)
- State two ideas proposed by Lamark in his theory of evolution. (2 marks)
- Why is Larmark’s theory not acceptable? (1 mark)
- State three factors that contribute to the deceleration phase in the population curve of an organism (1 mark)
- State one survival value for each of the following in plants:
- Thigmotropism in stems; (1 mark)
- Geotropism in roots. (1 mark)
- What is meant by the term non-disjunction? (1 mark)
- Give an example of a genetic disorder caused by:
- Non-disjuction; (1 mark)
- Gene mutation ( 1 mark)
- State three structural differences between arteries and veins. (3 marks)
The diagram below represents a female cone.
- Name the subdivision of the plant from which the cone was obtained. (1 mark)
- Other than the presence of cone, name two other external features that identify plants in the subdivision named in (a) above. (2 marks)
- What is meant by the apical dominance? (3 marks)